Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
2 posts
lkh5474@psu.edu
Help to find data for granted patents application dates

Can you give me some suggestions about where to find the patent data described below? 

I want to find the US county-level granted patent data with both granted dates and application dates from 2000 to 2015. For now, I have the granted patent data with only granted dates but not the application dates. 

Russ
use the crosswalk spreadsheet

Hi,

There's a granted_patent_crosswalk on https://patentsview.org/download/pg-download-tables that has application_number's for patent_number's with a couple of things to note.  First, the application data is only available from 2001 on.  Second, not all patents have a published application number.  An inventor can suppress publication if they are only applying for a patent in the US, they wouldn't disclose anything if the patent is not granted.  Even if the patent is granted, the application is not published.  A suppressed application's data is not part of the bulk pre-grant xml data that the patent office releases.

You'd have to join the crosswalk with the application table to get application dates.   For patents not in the crosswalk  I don't know if the data is available to figure out the application date.  A patent's application_number is issued sequentially when the application is received.   If you could figure out the application date for the application_number plus or minus one you'd know the approximate application date.  It doesn't look like the application_number field is available in the bulk patent file though.  

I hope this helps.
Russ Allen