Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
EkaterinaLevitskaya
Gender information

In this post you recommended to use gender information available in the inventor table: https://patentsview.org/forum/8/topic/525

I have gender information from previously released tables: inventor_gender table from 2018, and raw_gender_12292020.tsv table which I downloaded in March, 2022. May I ask if there is any difference in the gender assignment between these tables and the "male_flag" in the inventor table, which can be now downloaded from the website? Have gender assignments been updated in any way?

Thank you very much in advance.

PVTeam
Role: moderator
Gender information

Hello

Our methodology for attributing gender to inventors (described here) has not changed in the last few years. However, because the inventor_gender files and raw_gender_12292020.tsv associate a gender indicator with a disambiguated inventor ID, and because disambiguated inventor IDs change periodically as our disambiguation algorithm is refined and reapplied, older files generally cannot be applied directly to more recent inventor data.
Our persistent_inventor_disambig.tsv file does keep a record of all past disambiguated inventor IDs associated with a rawinventor_id (which is constant), and will allow you to find the current inventor_id(s) that correspond(s) to the ids in previous files. However, because the groupings of raw inventors into disambiguated inventors may not be constant between disambiguations due to addition of new data and refinement of our algorithm, inventor IDs between disambiguation versions may not match one-to-one.

We recommend always using the most recent inventor table for the most complete and accurate gender attribution available.

Best,
PVTeam

EkaterinaLevitskaya
Thank you

Thank you for the reply, noted

With much appreciation