Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
4 posts
hengyihuang@cu…
Assignee id ambiguity

I want to use the rawassignee.tsv data. But I noticed that for the same assignee id, it corresponded to different organizations. 

For example, the assignee id 7508383e-3e55-45db-820b-20dfc9cc9885 has represented several different firms, like American Technology, Inc., Bank of American Corporation, American Trading and Production Corporation, Bank of American Corporation and so on.

Why a unique disambiguate assignee id can have different values for organization?

Hengyi

emelluso
Role: administrator
Rawassignee versus assignee tables

Hello Hengyi, we looked into your question and could not find the id you gave in the rawassignee or assignee tables. But, we found a different assignee id (69c17555-6e1e-4e06-af29-3fb70b136e9b) that matches your description. In the rawassignee table, this id is paired with 70 unique organizations, including the ones you mentioned ("Bank of American Corporation", "American Technology, Inc.", and "American Trading and Production Corporation").
We think you may be using a different table, but that what you're looking for is the assignee table, which has the disambiguated assignee data. We can explain that because the rawassignee table actually contains un-disambiguated data, it is often the case that many different organization names are paired with an assignee id, but in the assignee table, you should only find unique pairings. For example, the unique organization in the assignee table for the example id mentioned above is "AMERICAN MEDICAL CORPORATION".

Hope this helps!

PVTeam

hengyihuang@cu…
Hi PVTeam,  Thanks for your…

Hi PVTeam, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I want to link the assignee information with patents applications (both granted and not granted). I have the patent application number (8-digital US-series code). I have checked the patent_assignee.tsv, this file contains only information of patent number for granted patent.

So I have to use the rawassignee in pre-granted hub. I use the document_number to merge with application.tsv in the re-granted hub to get the application number of the assignee observation. 

Could you please kindly tell me whether I am doing right? Or would you give me any suggestion that how should I do it?

By the way, you mentioned that the rawassignee may not be disambiguated but the assignee table is. In this case, can I put the assignee id in rawassignee into the assignee table to find the disambiguated organization?

Hengyi

emelluso
Role: administrator
Finding patents from assignee name

Hello Hengyi, I have some steps to follow below for how to find patents from assignee name. Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

1. Select assignee using assignee.tsv and locate assignee_id
  2. Using assignee_id link to the patent_assignee table
  3. Count total patents by assignee_id

Thank you,

PVTeam