Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
andcar
Need help for master thesis - R - patent applications and citations per firm per year

Hi,

I am currently working on my master thesis and came over this package for R which could potentially save me a lot of hours. I have a list of companies collected from the VentureXpert database. For these companies I need yearly (2010, 2011, ... , 2019) amount of patent applications, granted patents, and if possible total amount of forward patent citations (for that company that year).

Currently, there are 336 firms with 10 firm-years (i = 336, t=10).

As you may understand this will be used to help create my panel data, and as I am measuring innovative performance, the above will be different dependent variables I am looking into.

Firm 1    Year A    PatentApplications_1A    PatentCitations_1A     PatentsGranted_1A
Firm 1    Year B    PatentApplications_1B    PatentCitations_1B     PatentsGranted_1B
.                    .                          .                                          .                                        .
.                    .                          .                                          .                                        .             
Firm i    Year t     PatentApplications_it       PatentCitations_it       PatentsGranted_it

Of course, I do deploy control variables such as Firm Size (Assets), R&D Expenditures, and some industry controls.

My question is if anyone could help me with the code for collecting the patent data with this package? It seems my alternative is to manually go to the USPTO database and search up every firm every year, and skip citations. I've only had one course in R (RStudio) and I study MSc in Business, hence my "data science"/programming skills are limited.  Previous research have mostly used the NBER (HJT) dataset, but it is only updated until 2006, and I have an independent variable which is not mature enough at that time, hence 2010-2020 is the time period I look into. 

Patent Applications = Amount of patents filed for per firm per year (2010-2019)

Patents Granted = Amount of patents granted per firm per year  (2010-2019)

Patent Citations = Amount of forward patent citations per firm per year (2010-2019)

--> Individual patent data is not requested. Only as a total per firm per year (total amount of patent citations/applications/grants per firm (company) per year).

Thanks in advance! 

PVTeam
Role: moderator
Hi andcar, Thanks for…

Hi andcar,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Our team does not work on/maintain any R packages related to patent data so if you have specific questions on how to use the package you've found we recommend reaching out to its developers directly. In terms of data collection, you can use our API or Query Tool to search for specific firms/companies and the number of patents filed, patents granted, and patent citations per firm per year.

Both these tools allow you to run complex queries on our data set and can help you find the information you are looking for. Additionally, you can go to our Data Downloads Page (https://www.patentsview.org/download/) and download the tables for which our API runs on if you want to look at the data more in depth.

More information on the API and Query Tool can be found here:

https://www.patentsview.org/api/doc.html

https://www.patentsview.org/query/

If you have any further questions about any of our tools or the data on the downloads page feel free to reach out to us again.

Best,

PVTeam

andcar
Dear PVTeam,   Thank you…

Dear PVTeam,

Thank you for your reply. I was unaware that you were not the developer of the R package that serves as a client for your API. 

Your query tool seem very useful, and I will take a better look at it hoping I can extract the patent data I need. 

Regards,

Andreas