Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
Netanel Drori
Sequence variable and calculating the number of citations to each patent

Hello all,

I would appreciate the help of the community for any information on the following:

1. In the cpc_current file (and in other files) there is a column titled “sequence” – what is the meaning of this variable?
  2. I want to calculate the number of citations to each patent in the “uspatentcitation” file (to each unique patent_id). Therefore, should I count how many times each patent_id appears in the file? Does each row represent one citation to patent_id?
  3. Is there a “read me” file for the various tables describing in detail each variable?

Thanks in advance to the respondents.

Netty

Russ
DATA DICTIONARY ETC

Hi Netty,

It's easier to answer your questions out of order.

3. There is a link to a data dictionary (spreadsheet) on the downloads page (upper left side). 
1. A patent can have multiple cpc assignments. The data dictionary says that the sequence is the order in which cpc class appears in patent file.  So if a patent has 5 cpc assignments, it will have 5 rows in the file with sequences 0..4
2. I think you want to count how many times each citation_id is the file.  patent_id is the patent number that cites citation_id.  So if patent 123 cites 3 patents there will be 3 rows where the patent id is 123. Any number of patents could have a citation_id of 123.

Russ

Netanel Drori
RUSS, THANK YOU SO MUCH! …

Russ, Thank you so much!

Your feedback really helped me.

Netty