Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
2 posts
Fdenker
Matching citations to applications to later Patents (Bulk data)

Hi,
I was wondering how to best match the application_id from the table usapplicationcitation to the id column of the application table (to get the patent number).

The problem is that the application_id from the table usapplicationcitation looks like this: '2007/0236734' which does not match the format of any other application id that are part of the bulk download tables.

I tried to match it by deleting the first characters and then joining it with the application table but I am worried that I am matching the wrong applications to each other.

Does anyone have an overview of how these ids work together?

Any help is really appreciated!

Russ
CROSSWALK

Hi Fdenker,

You need granted_patent_crosswalk on https://www.patentsview.org/download/pregrantpublications.html If you remove the slash in your example you'll find that document number 20070236734 became patent number 7872774

Note that you may not always find a match.  The crosswalk begins with 2005 so if there are earlier document numbers cited you would have to try to look them up in the uspto's appft which goes back to 2001.  (search by the the document number to get the application number and then check patft to see if there is a granted patent with that application number.  In your example the application number is 11/729772 but patft only allows  searches without the series code or  apn/729772 which returns multiple matches.  You need to look at them to find 7872774 with the full application number ).

Using the crosswalk or searching with appft/patft may still not find a match.  Ex: my  patent app cites your patent app and later my patent is granted but your isn't.  Or you look today at my patent's citation and find nothing but a month later you may find a match if your patent was granted between your  first and second attempts to find a match. 

Russ