Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
5 posts
Kyle
What exactly is the 'Location' file?

I would like to link latitude and longitude with applicants, but the ids in the 'location' file don't seem to match with any other identifiers in PatentsView.  If they are not 'location_id's, then what are they, and is it possible to match them to applicants?

PVTeam
Role: moderator
WHAT EXACTLY IS THE 'LOCATION' FILE?

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for reaching out to our team! The location file contains a set of distinct disambiguated locations which are generated from all the locations in the rawlocation file, of which there are many duplicates.

The  id column in location table can be mapped back to the location_id column in the rawlocation table. I am assuming that when you say applicants you are referring to the assignees and/or inventors of each patent (please correct me if I am wrong). In order to link to these tables you can merge the rawassignee and rawinventor tables (using rawlocation_id) to the rawlocation table (using id). 

From here you can then get the  latitude and longitude for the assignees/inventors by using the location_id column from your merged data to further merge with the location table on the id column. I have tried to clarify which columns are equal across each table below:

assignee.rawlocation_id = rawlocation.id

inventor.rawlocation_id = rawlocation.id

rawlocation.location_id = location.id

If you need any further clarification please reach out to us again.

Best,

PVTeam

Kyle
THIS IS PERFECT, THANK YOU!

This is perfect, thank you!

bisuibabu
DOES PATENTSVIEW HAVE THE ZIP CODE

Hi PVTeam,

I have a similar question as Kyle. Does any of the location file maps the location id with the ZIP code. Basically I want to map the patents (inventor) with the ZIP code or MSA ids. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Sandip

Russ
NO ZIP CODE

Hi Sandip,

Zip code is not part of the grant xml that the database and download files are based on.  See the Patent Grant Full Text Data files on https://bulkdata.uspto.gov/ There is a latitude and longitude in the location file but not zip code. There's a link to the data dictionary in the left side of the downloads page.  It shows the fields that are available.

Russ