Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
Yijia Wen
questions on USPC Current

Hi,

I have two questions on the file of USPC Current as follows:

1. I check the file and see that one patent ID could have three different main classes and five different subclass id. Does this mean that one patent can concurrently belong to many different main classes? 

2. I match the USPC Current file with the patent file, using the keyword of patent id. However, I find many patent ids in the patent file can not be found in the USPC Current file. I wonder how I can find all the USPC classification for the patents? 

Thank you very much for your help!

PVTeam
Role: moderator
QUESTIONS ON USPC CURRENT

Hi Yija,

Thank you for reaching out to our team! Below are the answers to both of your questions:

1. Yes, one patent can have multiple main classes. For instance patent 8195386 is described as a "Movable-body navigation information display method and movable-body navigation information display unit" and is listed as having 701 (Data processing: vehicles, navigation, and relative location) and 345 (Computer graphics processing and selective visual display systems) as main classes since both describe the purpose of the invention in question.

2. The USPC classification system was replaced with the CPC classification system in 2011. This is why you are not able to find USPC classifications for all patents. For patents after 2011 you should look to our CPC classification data instead.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Best,

PVTeam

Yijia Wen
HI, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR…

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, it helps me greatly! I will try the CPC classification and see if I can find all the patent's classification.

Best,

Yijia