Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
Yijia Wen
how to find the patent inventor’s latitude and longitude

Hi,

I would like to find the inventor’s location (i.e., latitude and longitude), so I downloaded the following three files: raw location, location, and patent inventor. First, I extract the “location_id” in the file of the patent inventor. Then I search the “location_id” in both files: location and raw loaction. However, I fail to find the patent inventors' location_id in the location file or raw location file.

For example, “e32e6e87-ef14-4f80-86d3-cd8d8b1af4c1” is a location_id in the patent inventor’s file, but I fail to find it in the location file or the raw location file.

In this case, may I ask how I could find the patent inventor’s location (i.e., longitude and latitude)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best,

Yijia

PVTeam
Role: moderator
HOW TO FIND THE PATENT INVENTOR’S LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE

Hi Yijia,

Thank you for reaching out to our team!

To get the latitude and longitude for an inventor you can merge the patent_inventor and location files on the location_id, and id columns respectively. This will give you the corresponding location information for all inventor_ids.

This looks to be what you attempted to do, so I downloaded the patent_inventor and location files from our bulk downloads page (https://patentsview.org/download/data-download-tables) to see if I experienced the same problem. When I merged the two files however, I found that all location_ids in the patent_inventor table had matching ids in location

Based on the issue you are seeing I believe you may have an outdated version of one or more files as 'e32e6e87-ef14-4f80-86d3-cd8d8b1af4c1' did not exist as a location_id in either file that I downloaded.

I recommend you re-download the files you are working with and see if this resolves your issue. Depending on how recently you downloaded the files you may need to clear your internet browser's file cache first to ensure that you get the most up to date version.

If this does not fix the issue or you have any other questions please reach out to us again and we can help you find a solution.

Best,

PVTeam

Yijia Wen
Hi PVTeam, Thank you very…

Hi PVTeam,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will follow your advice and see if I could solve the problem.

Best,

Yijia