Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
vdacru
Firm level innovation

Dear PV-Team

I am working on a research project where I need a proxy for innovation on firm level. As understood from the OECD manual, the inventor of a patent has to be a natural person, i.e. a firm cannot be listed as the inventor. Hence, to get patents on firm level one can look at the  number of patents an organization has connected to their name by looking at who is the applicant of a patent or by looking at who it is assigned to. 

What is the difference in those two methods? 

Thank you for your help!

Best

Vanessa

PVTeam
Role: moderator
RE: FIRM LEVEL INNOVATION

Hello Vanessa

Our recommendation would be to look at the patents by assignee.

Using applicants instead should still give you a similar picture of firm innovation, but since applicants can include inventors, lawyers, and other parties as well, you might find that using applicants would produce a noisier and more unwieldy set of data to work with.

Best,
PVTeam

vdacru
Dear PV-Team I have…

Dear PV-Team

I have followed your advice and matched company names with the raw_assignee data to get a picture of firm innovation. 

However, by luck I googled a firm (Raser Technologies, Inc) and found a website that mentioned all the patents assigned to this company. By matching the company name (incl cleaning of the name etc.), however, I only found one matching patent.

As a result, I matched the company name with non_inventor_applicant to see whether I would find more patents with this matching procedure but no other patents showed up. 

So with my matching procedure I only found 1 patent for this particular firm but the website lists at least 7 patents. Do you have an explanation for this? Will my firm level data be very incomplete?

Thank you for your help!

Best

Vanessa