Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
5 posts
vdacru
Citation Date

Dear PV-Team

I am looking to count forward citations 5 years after the grant of a patent. The data, however, does not provide any information on citation date for US granted patents (only available in usapplicationcitation.tsv).

Would using the application date of the patent that cites the patent of interest be identical to a citation date?

Thanks for the help!
Vanessa

PVTeam
Role: moderator
Hello Vanessa,  There is a…

Hello Vanessa, 

There is a date field in the uspatentcitation table. Is this the field you are looking for?
The citation_id and date in the uspatentcitation table go together, while the patent_id in this table will match the date from the patent table. In order to get all of the patent numbers and dates into one file, you will need to join these two tables together. 

Please let us know if you have remaining questions. 

Best,

PVTeam

Russ
I'm not sure I'm following…

I'm not sure I'm following your question.  The citation date applies to what is being cited.  If a patent is being cited, it's the grant date of the patent being cited.  If an application is being cited, it's the publication date of the cited application.  All of the citations would be before the citing patent is issued.

For example, look at patent 10,000,000 on the uspto's site.  It cites two applications and two patents.  The patent office only shows the month and year for the citation dates but the patentview data has the full date for cited applications.  You could join the patents table to itself to get the patent citation date if you want it.

The uspto page has a link "Referenced By" to show the patents that cite patent number 10,000,000.  Is that what you are looking for?  The patentsview api can return similar data

Russ Allen

vdacru
Dear Ross & Dear PV Team …

Dear Ross & Dear PV Team

Thanks for getting back to me:)

Either I am missunderstanding you or you're missunderstanding me :) 
So what I am looking is the following: I am interested in how many patents (say patents XYZ) have cited patent A during a specific time period. What I call the citation date therefore is the date on which patent A was cited. So I am not looking for the grant date of patent A, which would be the citation_date as presented in uspatentcitation.tsv. Correct? 

However, I would assume that patents XYZ cite the patent A already when filing their application, so would then the date of application be the same as the citation date? 

Russ
You probably could assume…

You probably could assume that what you are calling the citation date is the application date when the category is "cited by applicant".  I'm not sure if it holds true for the other categories, like "cited by examiner".  Here is an earlier thread about the category field.

A friend of mine holds patent 8,935,202 that was granted over ten years after its application.  Here are the applications it references:

"application_citations": [
        {
          "appcit_app_number": "2002/20020194178",
          "appcit_category": "cited by applicant",
          "appcit_date": "2002-12-01",
          "appcit_kind": "A1",
          "appcit_sequence": "0"
        },
        {
          "appcit_app_number": "2003/20030050911",
          "appcit_category": "cited by examiner",
          "appcit_date": "2003-03-01",
          "appcit_kind": "A1",
          "appcit_sequence": "1"
        }

I don't think we know when the examiner cited the second application, all we can say for sure is that it was after 2003-03-01 (when that application was published) and before January 13, 2015 (when my friend's patent was finally issued).