Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
4 posts
Jason Holman
Identify applications that were not granted

Hello,

Does the pre-grant dataset in the data downloads area include applications that were not granted? If so, how do I identify those?

Thank you

Jason Holman
Clarification

Hi, to clarify, I'm wondering whether the pre-grant dataset includes rejected patents that will never be granted?

For example, the pg_published_application table has a record with pgpub_id = 20150064569, with a filing data in 2013. However, the pg_granted_patent_crosswalk table does not have a corresponding record. I also checked the application_id and that was not in the crosswalk table either. 

How do I interpret this? It seems unlikely that the application is still under review after 10 years, so I'm trying to determine whether the application has been rejected, or if there is an issue with the crosswalk table, or if there's something else I'm missing.

In particular, I'd like to know how to determine whether an application (including more recent applications) in the pg_published_application table has been rejected, is still being considered, or has been granted.

Thank you

PVTeam
Role: moderator
Abandoned; PG applications are evergreen

Hello! I used the Patent Center from USPTO and the application ID for that application to look up its status. The status according to USPTO is below. The pg data tables do include all published, publicly available applications, even those which are never granted. At this time, we do not carry an application status field in our pre-grant data. 

"Abandoned -- Failure to Respond to an Office Action - 11/21/2016"

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Best,

PVTeam

Jason Holman
Other sources?

Hi,

Thank you, that answers my question regarding the pre-grant data in PatentsView. Are you aware of a way to access bulk data about application status from any other source? I checked out Patent Center, and it appears to only allow you to check one application at a time. I plan on poking around to see what else I can find, but I thought I'd see whether you can point me in the right direction, as I'm trying to check the status of thousands of applications...

thanks again!