Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
richard.audoly…
inventor location over time

Hello,

I'm trying to track the location of inventors over time, which I define as the inventor's location at the time of applying for a patent. There's a table linking inventors to their locations (location_inventor) and there's a table linking inventors to their patents (patent_inventor). But I can't see a way to get this information all together. Is there a way to join all these data together based on the files publicly available?

Thank you!

Richard

Russ
use raw files

Hi Richard,

I think you could get what you want if you use three of the bulk files.  The raw inventor file contains inventors' locations for each patent.  You could join with the application file to get the application date of each patent.   Also joining with the raw location file would give you the actual locations.  It would be a fairly massive join as each of the files has millions of lines. For each inventor_id in rawinventor you could get their locations over time by link up
application.patent_id=rawinventor.patent_id and rawinventor.rawlocation_id=rawlocation.id and ordering by application.date

One thing to notice is that the inventors in the raw inventor have been disambiguated.  Any errors in that algorithm could skew your results.  Ex. if John Smith isn't properly disambiguated it may look like he moves around a lot.

It sounds like an interesting project.
Russ

richard.audoly…
Hi Russ - Thanks a lot for…

Hi Russ - Thanks a lot for your help! I'll give it a shot and report back. Richard