Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
4 posts
sryanshin
Regarding the crosswalk between location_inventor and patent files

Hello!

I am trying to track inventors' location over time using the patent data. I looked through the bulk files provided online and found that 'rawinventor.tsv' and 'location_inventor.tsv' files are relevant files.

But, I found that 'rawinventor.tsv' file does not cover location information for all inventors in the database (around 1M unique inventors are missing their locations). 'location_inventor.tsv' file covers most of inventors and location, but I find its impossible to map back to corresponding patent ID since it does not have the corresponding patent ID attached in the file.

Is there any crosswalk file available online that I can use to map 'location_inventor.tsv' file to corresponding patent IDs?

Thank you for your efforts and time in advance.

Ryan

PVTeam
Role: moderator
REGARDING THE CROSSWALK BETWEEN LOCATION_INVENTOR AND PATENT FIL

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to our team! You can map the 'location_inventor.tsv' file to the corresponding patent IDs using the 'patent_inventor.tsv' table, which is available on the PatentsView Data Download page (https://www.patentsview.org/download/). This table contains columns for inventor IDs and their corresponding patent IDs and will allow you to then merge the inventor data with the 'patent.tsv' file or any other files which contain patent IDs. 

If you have any further questions on these tables or how you should merge the data please reach out to us again.

Best,

PVTeam

sryanshin
PVTeam, Thank you for your…

PVTeam,

Thank you for your kind reply and explanation.

I am sorry but the problem here is that the 'location_inventor.tsv' file contains location ids for each inventor "without duplications", though an inventor may have applied for multiple patents in a certain location. This file doesn't have the corresponding patents (that are applied in each location). Without the corresponding patent IDs, I can't exactly map back to the 'patent_inventor.tsv' table. (If I merge using the inventor IDs only, it would create multiple patent-inventor-location rows that are just wrong and I would not be able to distinguish which rows are the right ones...)

Do you have a comprehensive table that contains patent-inventor-location info altogether and covers most of the inventors and patents in the current database by any chance..? Or A crosswalk file to map the 'inventor-location.tsv' table to corresponding patents would help too.

Please let me know. Thank you very much!

Ryan

Russ
REGARDING THE CROSSWALK BETWEEN LOCATION_INVENTOR AND PATENT FIL

Ryan,

This topic came up before.  Check out https://community.patentsview.org/forum/8/topic/165  There the ask was for location at application rather than using the granted patents file but either should work in the join.  The difference is whether you get the application date or the patent grant date.  Also check out https://community.patentsview.org/forum/8/topic/105 for information on joining the various bulk files.

Russ