Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
3 posts
Yijia Wen
can not find patent ID in CPC Current file

Hi,

I would like to examine the patent's classification, so I try to merge the patent file with the "CPC current" file using the key of  "patent id". However, I find many "patent id" in the patent file is not exist in the "CPC current" file. For example, the patent id of "10082717", " D255049", "PP12973" can not be found in the "CPC current" file. Does this mean that the "CPC current" file misses many patent id and the "CPC current" file is not complete? If I would like to find all the patent's classification, what file should I use?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best,

Yijia

Russ
ITS A LONG STORY

Hi Yijia,

10082717 was withdrawn after being issued so it is not present in the bulk cpc file that is used as the source of this field. There are around 8,000 withdrawn patents in the patentsview database and patent.tsv file that wouldn't have cpc assignments and wouldn't be in the cpc current file.  The  full list of withdrawn patents is here.    Design patents  like D255049 don't seem to have cpc assignments.  PP12973 has a cpc assignment but the bulk cpc data file the patentsview database is based on only contains assignments for utility patents.  Roughly half of the plant patents have cpc assignments but I don't think there is a bulk source of them.  Plant patent would be in the patent.tsv file but not cpc current.  Reissued utility patents should have cpc assignements but again there is no bulk source for them so they are not present in the patentsview database or cpc current file.  You could try the ipc file. 

Russ

Yijia Wen
Hi Russ, Thank you very…

Hi Russ,

Thank you very much for your reply, it helps me!

Best,

Yijia