Skip to main content
2 posts
Last seen: 08/02/2021 - 22:55
Joined: 07/11/2021 - 21:17
Assignee information missing for both granted patent and pre-granted application

I found that some patent application information is missing.

Here is what I did.

I merged the rawassignee.tsv for pregranted applications and the applications.tsv for pregranted application with document number. Thus, I know the application number for each observation in rawassignee.tsv. (For this step, those document numbers in rawassignee.tsv can be fully matched, but I find that there is  4,586,678 applications in application.tsv that are not matched, which means that there are  4,586,678 applications has no assignee information). I checked some of those unmatched applications, they did have original assignee, no matter for firm or person.

Could you please tell me why so many assignee information are missing? Or did I do something wrong?

The similar problem shows also in the granted patent data set. Some patent can not find assignee information in your rawassignee.tsv for granted patent.  


Role: moderator
Last seen: 04/27/2022 - 11:24
Joined: 10/17/2017 - 10:47
Patents and Applications Without Assignees

Hello Hengyi

Thank you for your patience as we've looked into this.
We were not able to reproduce the numbers you provided using the rawassignee.tsv and applications.tsv files, but we were able to confirm that a large number of applications do not have associated raw assignees in the rawassignee table. We have concluded that this is not a data error and that these applications genuinely do not have assignees associated with them. All of the cases we checked among the applications without matching raw assignees in our tables likewise had no assignee in USPTO's Patent Application Full Text Database. Patents and applications are not required to have assignees, and it is not uncommon for patents to have assignees added or changed after their application or grant. We estimate that at this time there is no assignee associated with roughly 50% of the applications and roughly 10% of the patents in our data. If you are still encountering cases where you are able to identify an original assignee for an application which is not in our data, please provide a few examples so we can investigate further.