Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
2 posts
RLStrader
Number of Forward Citations

Hi all, 

I'm working on a Master's thesis in which I want to investigate the correlation between joint patents and patent quality (indicated by number of forward citations). I am using the Query Builder to collect data for my analysis.

Is there a way to output a column containing the number/count of how many patents have cited the patent of interest (rather than the patent number of the patents that have cited the patent of interest)? 

Thanks in advance!

Russ
use the python wrapper

Hi,

I'll answer this one as it's the easiest of the questions you asked!  I don't think the query tool exposes the fields you want but the column is available.  The python wrapper would generate a csv that could contain patent_num_cited_by_us_patents, it's one of the fields listed on the patents endpoint's page.

I'm not sure if you'll need it, but one cool thing I discovered about the python wrapper is that the queries can be nested.  Your first query could get the patent numbers you are interested and the second one could call back to get the number of citations for those patent numbers.  See this post.

I hope this helps,
Russ Allen