Skip to main content

IN THIS SECTION
2 posts
Sanjana
patent_type metadata

There is a mismatch in the patent_type provided in the g_patent and the pg_published_application.

pg_published_application has 9 categories including many that do not appear in g_patent. e.g: new and new-utility. I also could not find any information on what these categories meant in the MPEP (200 - Types and Status of Application; Benefit and Priority Claims (uspto.gov))

g_patent has 7 categories including some that do not appear in pg_published_application. e.g.  statutory invention registration and TVPP.

Specifically, I was trying to subset all non-provisional utility patent applications and grants. However, I am concerned how best I could do this, given the patent_type mismatch and the additional categories. I would greatly appreciate any support in this regard!

Thank you,

Sanjana

PVTeam
Role: moderator
Not at this time

Hello Sanjana, 

This is a great question as it is one we are investigating on our side as well. The additional type variables in the pre-grant applications come directly from the raw XML from USPTO and we have a question to them seeking more information or a dictionary of what these types may mean. At this time, we do not know any more than you know. 

For your research question, it may be most straightforward to stick with the granted patent type field only, and not use the pre-grant applications type fields. You can then link the pgpubs_id to the corresponding granted patent, if this is of interest, by using the pg_granted_pgpubs_crosswalk table located on the data download page

Thank you,

PV Team